Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Riding High




The moment Krissy and I had been dreading was upon us. We were on the Kathmandu bound bus waiting for it to depart Syabrubesi. It was 6:15AM, so we still had fifteen minutes until departure. The prolonged anticipation of the tortuous journey we were about to experience was softened somewhat by our new vantage point from the top of the bus.

The sun hadn't risen over the valley so the air was still chilly. An infrequent breeze had me zipped up in my rain shell for protection. I was laying down with my head propped up against my big yellow backpack. Krissy was miming my posture. Below us some of the villagers of Syabrusbesi were gathered around and staring at the two whiteys on top of the bus. I'll admit it was a bit unusual. Normally the tourists are on the inside of the bus.

There were several reasons that motivated us to head for higher ground. First, the last bus ride was so crammed with people it was hard to breath. Up top we would have all the fresh air we needed. Second, a speaker right above our heads deafened us. Up top we'd have nothing to listen to but the wind. Third, someone went through Krissy's bag. Up top we'd be able to keep an eye on our bags. Fourth, it looked like fun!

Around 6:30 the bus lurched forward as the driver clutch started it. After warming it up for a bit we were on our way. We ducked under prayer flags and electrical wires as we left town. As the bus picked up speed I grasped tightly onto the metal bars that ran lengthwise across the entire roof of the bus. I felt quite secure as the scenery rushed by.

Whenever we approached a police check post we were ordered off the roof and into seats on the bus. After we passed the check post we were allowed to return to our airy perch. We must have passed through five check posts in an hour so the routine quickly grew old. After some deliberation, we decided to remain in our seats since there weren't people in the aisles, no music cranked out of the speakers and we would have been the only ones on the roof! This bus ride was almost tolerable when compared to the last one. The driver even stopped one time when it was raining and had all the luggage brought aboard. How thoughtful!

We stopped more frequently and had longer breaks than the last ride, which meant that it took a little over nine hours to reach Kathmandu. During the final hour there was no position I could sit in and be comfortable. No matter how much I squirmed my legs felt stiff and cramped while my butt felt like it had been deflated. Thoughts rolled about irritably in my head like a rock in my shoe. On the outskirts of Kathmandu I could barely contain myself. It was almost time to get off this stinking bus!

When we rolled to a stop at the Gombu long distance bus station I couldn't get off quick enough. Once on the garbage covered ground of sweet terra firma a taxi driver approached us. I negotiated a fair price before Krissy and I were whisked away to the familiar environs of the Kathmandu Guest House. Oh! How close this feels to home!









No comments:

Post a Comment