Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Last Bridge

This was our last day of trekking! We woke up late for us, it was nearly 7:00 AM. This wasn't a big deal by any means. Really, we only had to get to Syabrubesi by a decent time to get a room and book a bus ticket. Yep, one more time on the local bus we love so much! We knew today wouldn't take us as long as the book stated since we were going downhill for the most part. After breakfast, packing, and the normal morning routine we got on the trail at 9 AM.

It was sunny and wonderful. The trail rarely got steep so we made good time. By eleven we stopped for lunch. Now, if you ever visit Nepal, you'll realize that "pizza" on the menu is like no other pizza you've ever encountered. I've shied away from ordering this after several disappointing meals, but Kevin still goes for it. Pairo, Nepal is not an exception to this rule. Even still, we've seen worse.

A little ways down we crossed a log bridge that will soon be under water. It's interesting when you are walking across logs thinking, "don't fall in, don't fall in." This was supposedly a way across that leads to a flatter, faster trail. Flatter yes but not necessarily faster. Plus it was south facing and blazing hot. Regardless, we got to Syabrubesi just after 1:00.

We got a room at Buddha Guest House and booked bus tickets for the morning. For some reason it is cheaper to go to back Kathmandu than it is to come here. Hmm...must be the downhill. Obviously it was time to relax. We ordered two Everests, pop corn, and veggie pakodas. A new dog friend joined us as we sat in chairs under a tree. "It just keeps getting better," Kevin said as our order was brought out to us in stages. Yes it does!

Many people plan trips like this hoping to become enlightened. Like two months of walking around will answer their life questions. I booked my ticket with no such ulterior motives. With that said, all this walking has given me ample time to think things over (and over and over). Even though it wasn't my goal, I sadly did not go from baffled to Buddha during our countless hours of hiking. It did allow me to visit places I never could have dreamt up and meet people who I would love to see again. For now though, I can't explain how happy I am to be done trekking. I am sure that Kevin shares that joy. Not that I didn't love it, cause I did. Wouldn't redo my decision for anything. It is just that moving that much every day with a lot of weight does get tiring, and I have aches in places I have never had aches before. It has been undeniably wonderful but I feel like I need a vacation from my vacation. Although we have to endure another bus ride to get there, Kathmandu will be a fantastic way to wrap up this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment